Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By


Powered by Blogger

Aug 2, 2010

Last email

Excerpts from the last email João sent before we pick him up this Thursday in New York

Dear Family,

I have been through a whirlwind of emotions these last couple of days. I might look calm, but my heart beats faster and faster. I have a constant sense of urgency to cry out our message. This last Sunday, I fasted that I would be extended peace from the Savior. And as I partook of the sacrament, it came and I was able to feel Him beside me. It was a touching experience for me. Whisperings of love and comfort were given and the assurance that “I’ve been with you all along” was quietly spoken to my heart.

I spoke with Brother Kerr after church, and he gave me some good advice. He told me to write 3 letters to myself before I leave. The first one should be open in 1 year, and the second in 5 years. The third letter I should write should be addressed to my future wife he said. Brother Kerr works at the ER and reminds me of Miguel. We went out a couple of times on splits, and we would always have the best time visiting and teaching people. We had some great conversations. He said that there are a hundred different important things, but that he asked that I work on remaining in contact with those people from my mission. He said it would be time wasted if I put that much love and dedication into relationships and then leave them in New York. I think he’s right. My service here in New York might be soon over but the relationships cultivated can be maintained, even for the eternities. So, I’m going to purchase a small notebook, and will gather all the addresses and phone numbers I have kept scattered along the way. 

This last week I also had the privilege of eating “Bacalhau a Bras!” Brother Bryant and Sister Bryant were kind enough to take me out to eat at an authentic Portuguese restaurant here in the neighborhood. They loved it. And so did I! Brother Bryant is our ward mission Leader. He is a project manager. They are great people and so easy to love. They gave me some great advice I was looking for. We also spoke about missionary work. He gets fired up like you Dad. And I think I do too.

I gave my departing testimony to the zone this last Friday. It felt good to be among fellow missionaries and share some of my thoughts feelings of my last two years spent in New York. The assistants and the zone leaders were present and together we had lunch at a great cheap Mexican restaurant nearby.

These next couple of days, we are filled with appointments and work to do, and I don’t think I’ll have time to pack. But then again a lot of the clothes I have I’m not packing but throwing them away. Come to think about it I won’t have that much to pack at all. 

Well, I am excited to see you and be with you again. We have 2 years to catch up on. Thank you for always being there for me.

Love,

Elder Teixeira

0 comments:

Post a Comment